12/31/08

snowed in!

the wee babe is all sick today. Last night I noticed he wasn't sleeping well, very restless- moaning, tossing & turning in his sleep. When he went 4 1/2 hours without waking up to eat I got him out of the crib and realized he was burning up. All night he sustained a fever ranging from about 102 to 99 and started getting all congested. Bad cough, boogers everywhere, sensitive to light, flushed and lethargic. Joel went out at 5am to get him some baby Tylenol and the poor little bugger isn't much better right now. He's napping away. It's weird because he hasn't had so much as a runny nose his entire life and then all of a sudden this. So then I get a phone call from Jenn this morning asking about my dad - she's surprised I went to go visit him because didn't anyone tell me that he had MRSA - a highly contagious staph infection that manifested itself as pneumonia in him?! Wooow. Thanks Cape Cod Hospital! When we were there the other night I noticed the warning sign on his room door cautioning anyone from coming in contact with him. When I asked why that was there no one had an answer for me and brushed it off. It would be really nice to know that he's fucking contagious and infectious. Ugh. But I called the pediatrician this morning and described Isaac's symptoms, then mentioned that I just found out that we were all exposed to the MRSA and she said it's really unlikely to be related at all. Bugs are just going around right now. So all I can do is keep him comfortable, keep him hydrated, and keep up with the tylenol.

Speaking of my dad, I called him today because I was going to visit, but now that it's all blizzardy out and Isaac is sick, I wanted to call to say happy new year and sorry I can't come today. We were having a good conversation, he sounded a lot better than he was the other night. Then all of a sudden out of nowhere he drifted off and hung up on me! One minute he's with it and the next he's out. It's really frustrating. When my mom and I visited him the other night he was probably in the worst shape I've seen him in since he was in a coma a few years ago. They had to get a volunteer sitter to be with him 24/7 to watch out for his behavior and stuff. At one point he started kinda twitching and sweating profusely so my mom asked a nurse to check his blood sugar. It had dipped down to 30, which triggered a 'crisis response' and turned into this whole dramatic emergency effort from a million different doctors to get him back up. If we hadn't been there with him, he would have just lapsed into a fucking coma without anyone realizing. I am so beyond fed up with the incompetence at CCH, they're all a bunch of bastards and don't know what they're doing. How did they let his sugar get that low? Wasn't anyone feeding him? They didn't even have glucose tablets on hand to give to him, or an IV in in case of something like this happening. My mom had to reiterate to them a dozen times that he's stubborn, he's persistent, keep a better eye on him. He did pull out his own breathing tube when he was in that coma, after all. He did nearly escape from a nursing home once. They don't take him seriously because he's a pain in the ass, they think he just has blood sugar problems. I wish I could be there more just to make sure he's being taken care of. I don't feel confident about anyone's abilities in that god forsaken place.

Alright, rant over. Back to my Back To The Future Marathon: Snowed in on New Years 2009 Edition.

1 comment:

Missy and David Vadasy said...

I hope poor baby is better!!